MAGA – “Make America Great Again” – was the dubious and outlandish theme chosen by the scandal-ridden administration of US President Donald Trump. By wearing a red shirt and cap, I was successful in gaining entrance to a pro-Republican Party event, “Rock the Red,” held in mid June, 2022, in one of the most conservative incubation regions of the USA, central Florida. My costume, if you will, prompted participants to their guard down, so I could photograph freely and conduct interviews for some six hours without incident. I have documented foreign cultures throughout the world for more than forty years, which was a helpful skill set, but the last time I was at a Republican Party function was as a teen, when I snuck into the 1972 Republican Convention in Miami Beach, Florida. In the recent event, presenters and attendees in the arena in which the event was held for that day happily trumpeted Trumpian lies and unfounded conspiracy claims regarding his electoral loss and more.
Click on first picture to view full screen photos and captions.
Audio and video clip links below photo gallery.
- My initial observations
- Mark Burns, religious presenter
- Brendon Leslie, convicted insurrectionist
- Joe Flynn, brother of ousted National Security Advisor Michael Flynn
- Patrick Byrne, disgraced CEO
- Angela Stanton King, former convicted felon and Georgia political candidate
- Mike Lindell, professional pillow pundit
- Roger Stone, convicted felon
- Eric Trump, son of impeached ex-president
- I get into an argument with Horace, GOP fan
- Wayne Willott, AKA Juan Slavin, GOP and QAnon guru [excerpt A]
- Wayne Willott, AKA Juan Slavin, GOP and QAnon guru [excerpt B]
- Roger Stone calls for President Biden’s impeachment
- Roger Stone criticizes House Insurrection Hearings
- Tim Bonaparte, religious presenter
- General audience scene
- General audience scene-break time with throbbing ambient music